Simplicity. How can we make things simpler, more streamlined, or more efficient? Is this all just hype or is there actually something to this simplicity thing?
Reducing complexity in my life has reduced stress, increased free time, and top priorities are actually top priorities. When we simplify as much as we can we are better able to slow down and enjoy each moment as opposed to rushing through it. Here are a few ways you can simplify the various aspects of your life:
1. Turn off your cell phone.
2. Process email only twice a day.
3. Go to bed early.
4. Get rid of (or at least reduce) commitments that you do out of obligation.
5. Create a weekly meal plan.
6. Automate your finances.
7. Purge as much unneeded clutter as possible.
8. Keep your paper shredder on top of your recycling bin.
9. Add items you want to a wish list as you think of them.
10. Get a label maker or write labels out by hand.
11. Set your clothes out for the next day the night before.
12. Make your lunch for the next day the night before.
13. Make time to catch up with an old friend.
14. Just say no.
15. Ask for experiences not things for your birthday and Christmas this year.
16. Tell the truth.
17. Keep your list of addresses and phone numbers up to date.
18. Consolidate debt.
19. Create an organizing system that works for you.
20. Keep a bag for garbage in your car.
21. Cary a notebook and pen with you where ever you go.
22. Unsubscribe from emails, newsletters or RSS feeds that dont provide value anymore.
23. Apologize immediately when you realize youve done wrong.
24. Enjoy the present moment as much as you can.
25. Take time to really see the little things in life.
26. Reduce the amount of TV you watch.
27. Get outside.
28. Create morning, daytime, and evening routines.
29. Ask for help.
30. Do things at home as much as possible (eat, date nights, entertain etc.).
31. Dont get caught up in other peoples drama.
32. Let go of the self-imposed need to be perfect.
33. Focus on a simple, but healthy, eating plan.
34. Share responsibilities.
35. Reduce your wardrobe to a few versatile items.
36. Be positive.
37. Start a gratitude journal.
38. Finish old tasks before taking on new ones.
39. For every new item that enters your home set two free.
40. Want what you have not what you dont.
41. Revisit what you carry with you in your purse or wallet.
42. Focus on one thing at a time.
43. Store new garbage bags at the bottom of your garbage can.
There are countless ways to simplify your life, these are but a few. Id love to know what youve done to move towards a simpler life for yourself. Please share your ideas in the comments.
Below some extra tips submitted by our readers:
44. Know your credit score.
45. Have a realistic budget
46. Do online grocery shopping as much as possible
47. Get rid of pseudo-friends. Always ask yourself: Would I make friends with that person if I got to know her/him now?
48. Read only one book at a time
49. Keep a list on the fridge for groceries and write them on the list as you realize youre out or getting low
50. Rest on Sunday (or at least one day a week if youre not of a religious persuasion)
51. Cook in bulk and freeze leftovers for future use
52. Work out every morning
53. Go out of your way every day to help someone who isnt expecting it
54. Have automatic reminders for the birthdays of your beloved-ones or at least a paper version somewhere you regularly look at
55. Start a gratitude journal.
56. Finish old tasks before taking on new ones.
57. For every new item that enters your home set two free.
58. Want what you have not what you don’t.
59. Revisit what you carry with you in your purse or wallet.
60. Focus on one thing at a time.