Stress is a part of our lives. We both need it and have too much of it. How to find the happy medium?
Unfortunately, stressed parents “infect” their children with stress as well. Bad atmosphere spreads out very quickly, and home – the place which is supposed to be the oasis of calm and to help family members relieve the whole work or school stress – becomes the field of a battle. It is almost impossible to get rid of stress entirely.
However, what should we do if our family suffers from too much stress which results in health and relationship problems? First, identify the source of stress, then do something to make it less harmful. We have some ideas how to do it.
- Take care of a good night sleep. You have probably heard that sleeping well is healthy and helps relieve stress. It is true, and what is more, problems with sleeping are…another stress generators. Make your family go to bed earlier, have some “sleep weekends” and apart from this, find some time during the day to close your eyes and clear your head for a few minutes (or have a nap if it is possible).
- Stop yelling. Yelling is almost inevitable if we feel stressed and overwhelmed. But it does not help, it makes even more problems and strain between family members. Showing respect towards each other and talking calmly can help get rid of the strain and build trust. Children rarely listen to yelling parents, they just start yelling themselves.
- Have family dinners. Nobody wants to spend time with cranky people, even if these are their parents. Do not expect you children to cheerfully come to the family table if you are angry and depressed. Make this time more appealing and pleasant– for example, you can play a game in which you tell, in turns, something nice about other family member.
- Help your children cope with stress by setting a good example. If you manage with stress by eating too much or drinking alcohol, do not expect that your children will learn good habits in this area. You observe that your child is withdrawing? Talk to each other, take him/her for a walk, bike ride or to other place.
- Do not burden yourself and your children with too many activities. Running from one extra activity to another can cause a lot of tension. This tension can, in turn, cause many health problems. First of all, think if it is not too much? You can either reduce the amount of activities or just change the attitude and make it less hectic (being punctual is important, but it is not worth your terrible headache afterwards).
Find your own family stress-remover. If you observe that your family is more and more under the weather, have some sleep, stomach or back problems, it is time for all of you to calm down. Chronic stress harms our immune system and influences negatively our whole body. The only way to relieve the stress and unite the whole family at the same time is to find an activity which will enable you to both get rid of stress and spend time together.